I’m so excited to share this one with you… I have finally finished my bone flute! Oh, and I’m so happy with it 😊 It was such a joyful but also challenging learning experience. The body of the flute wasn’t so difficult to make, however, it took me quite a while to figure out how to adjust the beeswax on the top part of the flute to be able to play it 😅
To be honest, I’m not sure if I would have been successful at all if it wasn’t for the amazing support, help and tips on flute making I received from both Lynx Vilden and Mikka Vanhapiha during our Stone Age week in Finland last February (you can read about it in my blog here). Indeed, it was Lynx that in the end shaped the beewax correctly with both her hands and her bone needle. It was a dream come true when I finally listened to the sound of the flute for the first time!
This flute is made out of a reindeer bone. The mouth piece is almost completely covered with beewax except for the blowing hole – that I learned should be larger and wider at the top, and smaller and flatter at the bottom. All the front holes were made by hand with a couple of pointy bits of flintstone and a bit of water to make the bone softer. I left the last hole smaller for now, but I might enlarge it in the future in case I want to adjust the pitch. For now, I am pleased with the final result.
In this video, I share a small improvised tune with the bone flute. Hope you enjoy it!